Ah…content marketing. Perhaps one of the most common terms we hear when it comes to digital marketing but what does it mean?
According to the Content Marketing Institute, “Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience – and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.” Wow. That’s a bit of a mouthful but it essentially boils down to this:
Create awesome content that your customers will be interested in and make sure they get to see it.
Sounds simple? There’s more to it than meets the eye.
High-quality web content that's useful, usable, and enjoyable is one of the greatest competitive advantages you can create for yourself online.Kristina Halvorson Author, Content Strategy for the Web
Adding value through content marketing
Content marketing without a strategy is just stuff. And whilst some of that stuff may hit the mark, most of the time you’re just adding more content to your site that people aren’t going to visit.
Don’t do that. And don’t let an agency do that for you. Don’t judge an agency’s success on the number of articles, videos and other content they produce. Base success on traffic, time on page and sales.
We work closely with you to find out what type of content is going to add real value to your customers. Then we create a strategy that means your customers will see that content on the platforms they are using, at the right time.
Three steps to content marketing success
We take a three step process to our content marketing strategy:
1. Research and content audit - what content do you already have and what are your competitors producing? Then we know what we need to produce to fill the gaps.
2. Content production - once we know where the gaps are, we work on producing content that is 10x better than the content that already exists. We create content that best fits the needs of the audience whether it’s a blog, article, video, infographic, podcast…
3. Content distribution - this is where a lot of hard work and effort of agencies goes down the toilet. No matter how great your content, without great distribution, no one is ever going to find it. We look at the best platforms for each individual piece of content – not just taking a piece of content and putting it everywhere.
Content marketing is not a sales pitch
Content marketing is not about selling. It’s about informing and educating and allowing people to make an informed purchase decision. People want to learn before they buy. They want to be educated rather than pitched. Your content marketing strategy needs to meet the educational and entertainment needs of your audience whilst ticking the right boxes for Google.
Fresh, relevant content that people both click on and link to. Those are the signals that Google are looking for. When we create a fresh piece of content, we ask ourselves this, “Is this piece of content better than the content that already exists?” If the answer is no, then we go back to drawing board. Rand Fishkin, the Wizard of Moz, states that your content shouldn’t just be better than the content that’s already out there, it needs to be 10x better. That’s our benchmark.
A good content marketer can empathize with their audience and can therefore understand what topics they should create content on, what tone of voice to use, and what channels to promote the content in.Rand Fishkin Wizard of Moz
Why Digital Hothouse?
- We create content strategies that deliver ROI
- We create content that is 10x better than the stuff already out there
- We research the right content for the right platform for your business